As all good facilitators know, meetings don’t have to suck! Liberating Structures are a collection of processes designed to create connection between participants, enhance innovation, and unleash the power of a group. After exploring the concepts and theory that groups the 33 Liberating Structures, this session will explore 5-6 structures that you can immediately use with groups of all backgrounds, sizes, and topics. The structures are designed to be user friendly and content neutral, so you’ll leave ready to adapt then to any setting. Grounding our session in experiential learning, you’ll participate in the structures before reflecting and discussing with others how you could use and adapt each technique. The session will be active, fast-paced, and fully participatory, so come prepared ready to engage, share, and learn from others. We’ll also share some expert facilitator tips for using Liberating Structures even in spaces where you expect resistance to trying something new!
This MAFN Webinar will be held 9 am - 12 pm, EDT, including a 20 minute break.
- Learn the principles of Liberating Structures
- Experience and learn 5-6 new techniques to apply to their facilitation work
- Connect with other participants and learn from their experience
- Explore possibilities to adapt processes and practices to your specific needs
About the Presenter
Mae Cooper is a facilitator with expertise in collaborative, experiential, and interactive approaches to training, learning, and meeting design. Currently, she works as a Talent Development Consultant at Capital One supporting the development and growth of associates through learning and talent management. Previously, she served as a Learning and Development Manager at the George Washington University. For over 15 years, she has volunteered with CISV International and has trained educators and trainers in Japan, Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, and across the United States. Ms. Cooper holds a Master of Education in community development from Vanderbilt University and a Bachelor of Arts in political communication from George Washington University. She is also certified in Clifton Strengths and MBTI and leads the DC user group for Liberating Structures.
Lee Gimpel is the founder of Better Meetings, which helps organizations with meeting design, training and facilitation. He was previously Director of Development for LifeWise Strategies, where he oversaw training and education for the company’s products that focused on helping professionals develop better programs, more authentic client connection, and more dynamic classes. There, he worked with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, United Way, and University of Kentucky, as well as numerous banks, community nonprofits, and coaches. His work blends training related to engagement, human-centered design, facilitation and presentation skills, including Liberating Structures, Technology of Participation, stand-up and improv comedy.
- No refunds or credits for webinar registration cancellations.
- Registration closes at midnight the day before the webinar.
- Registered participants will receive instructions for joining the live session and any additional details 1 day in advance and the morning of the event. Please be sure to look for the link in your email.
- Webinars begin promptly at 9:00 AM EDT or 12:00PM EDT, depending on the topic of the event. Please log on at least 15 minutes in advance to ensure your internet connections, audio and other settings are functioning properly.
- MAFN Members have access to all webinar recordings via the MAFN website.
- For registration or membership questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.