MAFN is a community of professionals dedicated to advancing excellence in facilitation. Supporting facilitators in Washington, DC, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and around the globe, MAFN...
- Provides resources, knowledge, and encouragement for individuals to grow their facilitation skills and confidence;
- Promotes the value of facilitation to business, government, and non-profit leaders; and
- Develops facilitation opportunities by identifying and sharing projects for and among our members.
Be part of our dynamic community and connect with others who share the same passion and interest in facilitation. Learn with us, find new business opportunities, and advance yourself and the field of facilitation.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive regular news and learning opportunities.
Visit our Find-A-Facilitator Service to identify a professional facilitator to help your next meeting be successful.
Design Thinking: Building Creative Confidence in Organizations to Tackle Strategic Planning and Other Efforts
June 24th, 8:30am - 12 pm
GAO Office, Washington, DC
Design thinking is an approach to innovation that, through effective facilitation, can unleash energy, creativity, and powerful new ideas. While often associated with product and service design, the principles of Design Thinking can be used in a variety of facilitated processes to reframe common tasks and engage meeting participants in fun ways. This workshop will introduce participants to the Design Thinking process and demonstrate how it can be applied in a variety of settings, including strategic planning. Specifically, participants will walk away with the following:
• Awareness of the principles and practice of facilitating a Design Thinking process
• Insights from examples and cases of Design Thinking in action
• New skills gained through an experiential design thinking activity
• Understanding of how the Design Thinking framework can be applied to the strategic planning process
Mariana Balgurevich is an experienced innovation consultant. She is a passionate advocate of collaboration as a source of innovation, and she's been inspired by the Design Thinking methodology to approaching complex problems and to build the creative confidence in organizations. She has led or co-led ten Design Thinking workshops and will be sharing her most recent experience in putting together a 3-day public Design Thinking Bootcamp and the elements that made the event a success.
Patrick Tallarico, CPF
Patrick Tallarico has been facilitating for over 20 years. Although his work has focused primarily on environmental topics, he has also provided facilitation support for organizational improvement efforts, strategic planning, supplier engagement efforts, and change management initiatives. He has a certificate in Design Thinking obtained through the Acumen/OPEN IDEO program and has been finding ways to integrate Design Thinking principles into his work as a result of this experience.
Be sure to join us at our June Networking Event immediately following the workshop. Register now!